Again: Advertising thoughts

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Mon Jul 16 16:57:57 CEST 2007

Giles Jones wrote:
> If you minimise the time using the stylus then you eliminate a huge
> section of the public who don't want to use a stylus (yes I know the
> Nintendo DS has one and has sold 40 million ;)). I would say the main
> reason for using the stylus is drawing lines.
>
> Using fingers to touch is less precise, but you could have an
> interface that zooms, touch and hold an area to zoom that area, you
> can then touch more accurately the item you want. Would be possible
> with the additional 3D hardware in the consumer hardware.
*Most* of the application should be completely navigable fingers only,
because people are much more likely (at least I know I am) to be on the
go while using their phone.  Whereas when people are playing a game
(Nintendo DS), they would be more likely to be stationary and willing to
take the time to take out and use the stylus.

I think it takes a little bit of extra time and effort to design for a
mobile (finger only) application.  However, less IS more.  Fewer but
larger (and intuitive) buttons.  I don't mind going through a couple of
screens if it is clear what I am doing.

For the address book example.  I would prefer to have a list that showed
only a few names with a large area for each.  When you clicked the name,
it would pop-up (again large buttons) the actions that you could take
(Dial, SMS, Email, Edit/Other).  Extra clicks aren't always bad if they
are well defined and easy to use even at a glance.

-Jonathon