Not "the free phone"

John Seghers jseghers at cequint.com
Mon Jul 16 20:09:35 CEST 2007

Dirk Bergstrom wrote:

> Ian Darwin wrote:
> > The phrase "free phone" already means the
> > opposite of what we want it to mean. It's done, finished, over. Move on.
>
> Ugh, Ian's right.  That phrase has been violently co-opted by the
> carriers.  Much as I like "The free(d) phone", I don't think we can use
> that anywhere outside the geek community.

Furthermore, unless you are in a free WiFi area and using a VOIP provider,
you're still paying for service.  Most of service plans cost the same
whether you provide your own equipment or not... therefore equating the cost
of service over the lifetime of the phone to the cost of the phone is not a
valid comparison.

However, something like "It's your phone, use it your way" is likely the
better avenue.

- John