Hardware/Software UI Relationship

Dirk Bergstrom openmoko at otisbean.com
Tue Jul 17 01:10:09 CEST 2007

At Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:00:06 -0400,David Duardo <dduardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can the community and FIC work together to have the most cohesive
> vision between the hardware and software user interfaces?

As I understand it, the Neo 1973 hardware was originally developed for
an unspecified FIC customer.  That deal fell through, and somehow
OpenMoko came onto the scene.  Thus we have this somewhat oddball
platform.  It wasn't planned this way, it's a happy accident that any
of this happened at all.

My reading of Sean's announcement is that future hardware platforms
will be designed in a more collaborative fashion.  I suspect that the
hardware he talked about for 2008 is probably pretty far along in the
design cycle by now, but the versions after that are likely to be more
open.

--
      Dirk Bergstrom           krid at otisbean.com
             http://otisbean.com/