price politics for hardware updates post-phase-1/2

Jan blackbox at netjl.com
Tue Jul 17 02:50:59 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've been on the list since end of march and I really love this project.

I am planning to buy a Phase 2 phone but there is still something to
know before.

Somewhere I read that FIC will likely sell the phase 2 to phase 1 owners
for something like $150 (instead of $300 - yes, I know that phase 2 will
cost more likely around $450 instead of $300). If I understood it
correctly, the OpenMoko-project is something with a "long term support
project", meaning there will be software updates all the time in future,
not like the phones on the market right now who stop their support after
a year or two. As OpenMoko updates the software, FIC will update the
hardware too. I wonder if FIC will offer every time the phone gets an
hardware-update some deal like there has been talking about the update
phase 1 to phase 2. Does anyone has some more information or a link or
so to read something about that?

I mean it would be really sad if the phase 3 would be _way_ better than
the phase 2 but "you"'ve bought already a phase 2 in okt/nov and the
update would be somewhere around june/july or so. I would feel somehow
ripped-off if there would be no update-deal...

I hope someone got an idea what I am trying to say... :-/

Greets
Jan