Reply-to munging...

kent at songbird.com kent at songbird.com
Tue Jul 17 18:09:12 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 11:25:09PM +1200, Robin Paulson wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> >ti, 2007-07-17 kello 09:59 +0200, ramsesoriginal kirjoitti:
> >> p.s. i hate the way gmail handles this list. couldn't we have the
> >> respond-to adress set to community at lists.openmoko.org?
> >
> >Hate gmail and complain to them all you want, please don't imply the
> >list should be broken because of that.
> >
> >I shan't continue on the subject, but thought it necessary to note the
> >opposing opinion's presence in this context.
>
> it's nothing to do with gmail. the reply-to field has not been set on
> the openmoko mail server, so replies to messages default to the
> sender. this is fine in most cases, but not on mailing lists

Hi Robin

Actually, it is perfectly fine on mailing lists, and in fact it's exactly
the way it's supposed to be.  This is an old debate, and, like Mikko, I don't
want to waste list cycles rehashing it, but Chip Rosenthal's early paper
(http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html) lays out the issues.  There
have been some rebuttals over the years, but see

    http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful

Best Regards
Kent Crispin
Technical Systems Manager