projects of interest?

Casey Harkins caseyharkins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 03:52:52 CEST 2007

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Giles Jones <giles.jones at zen.co.uk> wrote:
>> We need a good use for GPS, I want something like Tomtom but this
>
> Possible uses: can be combined with Google Maps or something like that
> to give other people an idea of the "travel route" you have followed.

I plan on implementing something along these lines (without the POI
portion). My goal is to have a daemon running which records routes
constantly and periodically reports them to a server over GPRS (probably
gpg'ed first). When the route is reported to the server, the server can
respond with a command to adjust the reporting period.

The primary use is just to keep a record of everywhere I've gone with
the phone (reported once a day). Second, if my phone happened to get
lost or stolen, I flip a switch on the server and the phone would report
its position hourly or even more frequently. Even if the SIM card was
swapped out, as long as GPRS is still accessible, the phone should still
report its position. Unless the person in possession of my lost phone
finds this mailing list post, it should help me get my phone back. :-)

-casey