Possible App - Security

Visti Andresen talpa at galnet.dk
Wed Jul 18 19:17:23 CEST 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:19:14 -0400 (EDT)
Paul Wouters <paul at xelerance.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, COMINT wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in putting together an encryption app to allow secure
> > voice calls over the GSM data call facility.
>
> You need IP layer encryption, not application based enpcryption.
You wouldn't actually NEED IP layer encryption

> So ipsec, openvpn, l2tpd, OTR, GPG.
>
> I'd recommend using IPsec with a ppp connection if you want to do GSM data
> calls
Sounds a lot more complicated to me that just throwing an ATDT command at the
modem, and start sending encrypted data...

 - unless you want to do a "cryptophone" style DiffieHellman.

> I am not sure if the latter one is patented.

I would just go for something out of a standard library say blowfish from
openssl's libcrypto

btw. 'bitbake openssl' creates a nice libcrypto ipk package :)

maybe twofish if I needed asymmetric encryption