Shipping update

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Wed Jul 18 19:35:51 CEST 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Ted Lemon wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2007, at 9:35 AM, michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:
>> Probably would be best to ask this of the shipping company. You might also
>> be
>> able to change the delivery address to your hotel at the conference.
>
> They are generally reluctant to do this, both because it makes it easy to
> steal a package enroute, and also because it's likely to result in
> misdelivery.   If you can change the routing at the source, it's much more
> likely to work.

True.

Which reminds me of another possibility: When the package arrives, you can
have it redelivered to a different location. They may charge for this, but
it's an option. You'll be in Portland for almost a week, right?

I suppose you may need someone to accept the package at the original
destination, to avoid the theft issue that Ted raises.

Again, a call to the carrier to find out your options and related prices might
be the best bet. Describe the situation, and ask them how they can help you
solve it. If you get someone unhelpful, hang up and try again with a different
customer support representative. You need someone who is willing to think of a
solution. Such people do exist (they usually end up working on Open Source
projects :-)

Good luck,
Michael