ringtones?

Jeff Andros jeff at bigredtj.com
Thu Jul 19 01:35:15 CEST 2007

I haven't used a mac other than casually (checking email) since os9... so
I'm not so up on growl.  I'd like basically arbitrary code execution, but
with some (read LOTS) of protection on how that gets registered (can't let
Sean's dad install malware that fire off every time the phone rings, can
we?).   I'm also still liking a shell script that gets fired off, yeah, it's
got a bit of overhead, but if you get into binary programs as fast as
possible, and just use the script to link up the purpose built programs (I.E.
the whole reason shell scripts exist) it might not be too bad... something
to investigate I guess
On 7/18/07, Giles Jones <giles.jones at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2007, at 23:39, Jeff Andros wrote:
>

> > Maybe go one step further... set it up as an observer pattern
> > inside the os.  you could build a simple GUI that wraps around it,
> > but also other programs could register to be notified on a phone
> > action (damn, I really need to go over the code... this might
> > already be implemented) I like the idea of moving away from the
> > shell for things like this, getting into faster, native code, but
> > it would be really nice to be able to fall back on shell scripting
> > when you need something quick and dirty... I admit to running a
> > poll on www.openmoko.com the night before it went live (it was only
> > every 5 minutes, and I took it down once the site changed) with a
> > bash script took 5 minutes or so to write (yeah, I built a command
> > line IM daemon that took up the other 3 hours or so)
> >

> Indeed, I'm thinking something like Growl on the Mac, but not limited
> to visual notifications.
>
> http://growl.info/screenshots.php

Jeff