Shipping, Billing, etc

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Thu Jul 19 22:01:51 CEST 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Andy Powell wrote:
> What they should have done is not opened the shop for 2 weeks and
> then got
> everything in place rather than taken the orders and then sit
> around waiting
> because no one thought about the merchant account.

Those bastards!   How dare they?

Man, remember back in the day when you used to mail order things by
sending a check in an envelope through the postal service?   And then
four to six weeks later the box would come, or maybe not?   And
that's what people did for over a century, between the time that mail
order was invented and the time that the Internet and package
tracking over the Internet became a possibility.

Sure, this could have been handled better.   If they'd asked me, I
could have set up a Zencart site for them.   So could probably a
dozen or more people on this mailing list.   But they had a lot of
work to do getting the phone out, and they were overconfident about
how easy this part would be.   We can be angry at them if we want,
for this oversight, but it's not going to make any difference in how
soon our phones get shipped.

On the other hand, if you get strident enough, it might make them
regret ever trying to ship an open source phone.   If that's not your
goal, you might want to consider different tactics.