community Digest, Vol 36, Issue 45

Kero van Gelder kero at chello.nl
Fri Jul 20 08:19:08 CEST 2007

> Is that searchable?  Is it threaded?  Will there be someone on 24/7 that is
> knowledgable and helpful?
>
> I understand that some people love IRC and mailing lists.  But users expect
> to search and ask questions in a forum, not on a mailing list and IRC.  I
> think it's about time for some forums.

Funny, I expect to ask questions at IRC and search archives.
and I expect messages to be archived indefinitely, as a mailing list does
(I've seen many forums that don't, unless you mark "sticky"...)

Besides, the usabilty of those forums is very clunky compared to a decent
email client. And if you want a webpage for these things? Use gmail.

Now, if you like the subforums feature of forums, perhaps the conclusion
would be that we need more mailing lists. Atm, I doubt that. What would
be bad is to start a forum with the same scope next to an existing mailing
list, so we would have two places to search for the same thing.

Bye,
Kero.