Significant Numbers of Non-Developers?

ramsesoriginal ramsesoriginal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 09:09:07 CEST 2007

On 7/20/07, Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:

> I've been reading the archives of the various OpenMoko lists and I've
> noticed
> a significant number of people who admit they are not programmers at all,
> or
> that this is their first exposure to Linux.
>
> I'm curious what a non-programmer is going to do with this device in the
> next
> few months.  And if your first use of Linux is on the device itself, and
> you
> run Windows on your desktop, how you're going to grow your Linux skills
> and
> effectively develop applications.  Just seems odd to me, but maybe I'm
> overlooking something. ;-)
>
> BTW, there are threads of discussion here that are answered by digging
> into
> the source code released so far.  I've seen some people asking the
> OpenMoko
> team to spell how how this or that is going to be done (events from calls)
> --
> guys, its in the source and at this stage we're expected to be developers.
> While waiting for our oders, we should be setting up our development
> environment, reading thru the source given so far, and writing test
> programs
> to run within the QEMU environment, to get ready.  I doubt once the device
> arrives in the mail that it will come with a manual that makes all things
> clear or that the functionality on the device will be useful for much by
> itself -- you'll still have to dive into the source.
>
> As an embedded developer myself, the less than smooth way things are
> unfolding
> and the rough nature of the device itself are normal and expected when
> engineering a new device.  Those used to a consumer device may not
> understand
> this as they rarely get a peek into the process like FIC is giving us.
>
> And I'd just like to say to the OpenMoko team "thanks" for giving us this
> device and opening it up so that we can participate in its shaping.  That
> many
> decisions on how things are going to be done are not yet made is a -good-
> thing, people.  The journey is the reward for geeks, not the final
> destination
> of a polished, shrink-wrap consumer gadget.
>
> -Jeff

In some points i agree, but i think as an application developer you should
not have to look into the code of gsmd, or whatever. As an application
programmaer, i (usually) expect some sort of interface wich i can use, and
wich is documented. Because if every application diggs deap in some sort of
demons/driver/whatever, and some piece of code changes, then we're all
fucked up (sorry for the expression).

--
My corner of the web: http://ramsesoriginal.wordpress.com
My dream, my world: http://abenu.wordpress.com