Hooks in Base Code

Jim McDonald Jim at devzero.net
Fri Jul 20 13:06:29 CEST 2007

Giles Jones wrote:

> I don't think the project will last long if there's too much snobbery about who does what.

In this case it isn't snobbery so much as ensuring that there is a
simple way to put the right functionality in the right place.
Overloading gsmd with lots of (potentially conflicting) user
requirements would lead to code that was hard to maintain and with a
steep learning curve, hence the point that only those who put the time
and effort in to understand all of the wrinkles would be able to make
safe changes, and these people would be 'core' developers purely because
that's where they would have to do the development to get the
functionality they required.

'core' isn't a synonym for 'better' here, it just refers to developers
that work on the core functionality of the product rather than the (in
my opinion) more interesting stuff of the higher-level applications.

Cheers,
Jim.