community Digest, Vol 36, Issue 45

Mathew Davis someoneinjapan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:06:02 CEST 2007

On 7/20/07, Adam Krikstone <krikstone at cox.net> wrote:

> IRC and lists are great tools at sending and distributing information
> fast.  However, as more users, especially ones with little to no
> experience with linux, begin purchasing neo's these lists will be
> inundated with drivel.  There is only ~1000 people on this list and look
> at simple problems with a glitch with gmail.  I get 90+ messages about
> "is gmail broken," "gmail isn't working," "I think it is gmail," etc.
> Do you really want to check your inbox and get 5000-10000+ messages
> about simple mundane things as the neo's are released to the mass
> market?  I suggested a forum to act as a buffer between the public and
> IRC/lists.  The IRC/lists can be for developers/advanced users and
> consumers can stay in the forums.

I agree.  I don't understand why people are so opposed to having a forum.
It doesn't mean that if we had a forum we had to shut down the mailing
list.  And no one is suggesting that mailing lists are outdated.  I think,
at least for me, adding the strengths of another great tool to the growing
list of already great tools is a good idea, especially once this starts
hitting the market.  I think there are some definate strengths that a
mailing list has that a forum could never have.  From my experiance I have
found forums to be a great tool for the novice to advanced user.  People who
know what they are talking about can help the beginer users and people who
have more dificult questions can turn to the mailing list.  And if people on
the dev team want to poke around in the forums the merrier but they don't
have to.  I for one think that forums could really enhance the community.