community Digest, Vol 36, Issue 45

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Fri Jul 20 18:35:14 CEST 2007

Andy Powell wrote:
> On Thursday 19 July 2007 23:39, Steven ** wrote:
>
>> Is that searchable?  Is it threaded?  Will there be someone on 24/7 that is
>> knowledgable and helpful?
>>
>> I understand that some people love IRC and mailing lists.  But users expect
>> to search and ask questions in a forum, not on a mailing list and IRC.  I
>> think it's about time for some forums.
>>
>> -Steven
>>

> Those were never specified as requirements at all.  What they asked for was
> somewhere they could ask questions without  "spamming the list"  - irc is
> perfect for those little questions.
IRC is great for technical people to ask quick little questions without
"spamming the list".  However, IRC is not an option for those
less-technical.  Basically, if they can't get the information they are
looking for using their browser and ONLY their browser, then they will
NOT find what they are looking for...

IRC and mailing lists have their uses, but so do forums.  I honestly
don't understand the resistance to the idea of a forum.  Other than
people being so closed minded and elitist that they can't understand how
people are soo stupid not to have know the answer to the question already.

So if anything, hopefully those people (who are the people who give FOSS
a bad rep) will stick to IRC and mailing lists, and people that can
actually perform social interaction can help people out in the forums.