Significant Numbers of Non-Developers?

Giles Jones giles.jones at zen.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 23:52:49 CEST 2007

On 20 Jul 2007, at 22:25, Ortwin Regel wrote:

> Order #1833 here and not a developer at all. My last Linux
> experience was that I changed the screen resolution in Suse 9 to
> something that didn't work and wasn't able to change it back and
> get back to the GUI. :P Still, I need this phone and I need it now.
> It's the phone I've been waiting for for about four years. Pretty
> much since I got my Tapwave Zodiac and wondered what would happen
> if it was also a phone. I love to be an early adopter, even if it
> takes time for stuff to get usable. This is just too fascinating to
> wait any longer. I'll probably buy a GTA 02 in October, too, and
> sell my GTA 01 or give it to one of my favourite Palm game
> developers if I'm feeling generous.
> I hope people will help me if I'm stuck in some scary command line. ;)
>
> Ortwin Regel

No, you want the phone. :P

At the moment it's not a fully working device, it will do very
little. It will be frustrating to have a phone which does nothing. If
you haven't ever had to flash a phone or use recovery methods to
repair a bricked phone then you'll end up with a paperweight.

I've not done much embedded development for a while, my background is
in C development. I started on the Amiga and wrote some MIDI software
such as MIDI drivers, audio output plugins. I did embedded
development for a year, developing firmware for network hardware.
Trust me, even I am a little nervous about having a Neo and not being
able to contribute. So if you're not a developer you'll feel even
more frustrated and impatient.