700Mhz Spectrum

Mischa Beitz mischa at beitz.org
Sun Jul 22 06:16:35 CEST 2007

Dean et al.,

I had a very similar reaction to the 700MHz auction debate.

It seems like a potentially incredible opportunity for openmoko,
asterisk or any number of open platform wireless tech. The FCC is
mandated by Congress to get this auction done quickly, but don't hold
your breath; AT&T and other members of the telco/cable duopoly in
broadband provision aren't going to sit by and let Google dictate
auction terms to the FCC. Nevertheless, couldn't hurt to ask Google
(and other potential auction winners) what they're going to do with it
and how, if they get it.

It'll happen awfully fast and it'd be great to see OpenMoko on top of
things IF the FCC accepts some Open Access requirements for the spectrum.