700Mhz Spectrum

kenneth marken k-marken at online.no
Sun Jul 22 06:21:41 CEST 2007

On Sunday 22 July 2007 06:16:35 Mischa Beitz wrote:
> Dean et al.,
> I had a very similar reaction to the 700MHz auction debate.
> It seems like a potentially incredible opportunity for openmoko,
> asterisk or any number of open platform wireless tech. The FCC is
> mandated by Congress to get this auction done quickly, but don't hold
> your breath; AT&T and other members of the telco/cable duopoly in
> broadband provision aren't going to sit by and let Google dictate
> auction terms to the FCC. Nevertheless, couldn't hurt to ask Google
> (and other potential auction winners) what they're going to do with it
> and how, if they get it.
> It'll happen awfully fast and it'd be great to see OpenMoko on top of
> things IF the FCC accepts some Open Access requirements for the spectrum.

for some reason im not expecting that to happen (the open access thingy).

also, even if it happens. this is only the usa. ok so its a big market, but
does anyone know what that area of frequency is used for in other nations?

will a device that have the ability to transmitt on said frequency risk being
illegal in other parts of the world?