qemu trouble...

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Sun Jul 22 20:16:48 CEST 2007

Lars Hallberg wrote:
> Daniel Robinson skrev:
>> Hey Lars,
>>
>> Huzzah to you, sir, for getting that far.  I got my ubuntu system up
>> yesterday, but I haven't gotten some of the other pieces working.  I
>> haven't used  OpenEmbedded  or bitbake before.  I use perforce at work.
>
> I have not set up a complete build env (don't have room)... Just build
> the qemu according to "Manual setup" on:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenMoko_under_QEMU
>
> And downloaded prebuilt kernel, rootfs and u-boot... all in the above
> instructions.
>
> The 'extra' preparation I did was:
>
> install gcc 3.4 and run:
>
> # apt-get build-dep qemu

I've not had the problems I'm seeing discussed on this list but then I used
the MokoMakefile approach.  One thing to note -- the OpenMoko build system
comes with its own version of QEMU, with changes specific to the Neo1973.
Running a stock QEMU outside the build environment will probably limit what
you can do, in particular it lacks the virtual Neo1973 hardware they added.

Re a few of the troubles,

 - Giles, I didn't have to modify any .h files to make it work, nor did I
   see any problems with the 8ma power you saw.

 - Lars, Yes, the onscreen keyboard does work, as in the GUI keyboard you
   click on with the mouse.  I click in the upper-left box (white area,
   not icon) and the onscreen keyboard comes up in my QEMU image.

 - out of the box, it does not let you type into it using your desktop
   keyboard but you can add -usbdevice keyboard to make it work

 - I can say that the ability to 'ssh' into the QEMU does work here,
   but it requires a few steps in the QEMU monitor each time you use
   it re usb_add gadget:1 that cannot be automated.

 - To network into the QEMU image you must have gadget support in your
   host kernel.  The Neo1973 docs talk about having a /dev/gadget file,
   for example with a gadgetfs mounted on it.  I have to create it by
   hand each time I boot, as the udev system doesn't keep it around
   on my Gentoo system.  I checked the source and you cannot move it
   elsewhere - the path is hardcoded.

I hopes this helps,

-Jeff