building openmoko devel image

Henryk Plötz henryk at openmoko.org
Mon Jul 23 02:56:36 CEST 2007

Moin,

Am Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:06:49 -0400 schrieb Charles Lohr:

> Every time I try building, I first get a list of errors like:
>
> NOTE: Handling BitBake files: | (4323/4354) [99 %]NOTE: Retrieved
> remote revisions: ['0', '0', '2360', '0']

No errors, just informational messages. I left them in because I didn't
think they would cause any problems. You'll see that many only the
first time, when the cache is generated. Afterwards you'll only see
those that are actually relevant and may be helpful.

> Originally, I kept getting missing stuff for my java messages, but
> after getting the JDK patched and working, I finally settled on this
> error that I just can't seem to fix:

Hmm, I'd say that requiring Java would be a problem in itself, though I
never had any troubles with it because I'm using Java on this box
anyways.

> `/home/moko/build/tmp/work/i686-linux/gettext-native-0.14.1-r4/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime/intl-java'
> | jar cf libintl.jar gnu/gettext/GettextResource*.class
> | Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: cf

Huh? "cf" in this case is an argument to the jar utility. The only way
to end up with this error message that I can think of, would be if you
symlinked your "java" binary under the name jar. What exactly did your
"patching" "the JDK" include? What stopped you from just emerging
sun-jdk-1.5?

> Is there any way to actually view what the Makefile is doing when it
> just sits there and then this thing pops up, like verbose output or
> something?

The MokoMakefile is doing nothing at this point. It's essentially just a
wrapper around the bitbake tool which handles the actual build process,
through things called recipes (which are conceptually equal to gentoo
ebuilds), which in turn might call a make of their own. To be nicer,
bitbake by default suppresses all output from the build process and
only prints an occassional status message. It does however create
tremendous amounts of logs and prints the last couple of lines from the
logs in case of an error (that's what you saw).

You can instruct bitbake to print every message directly in your face,
but for that you'll have to call it directly: instead of
  make openmoko-devel-image
issue
  cd build; . ../setup-env
to setup the needed environment variables that bitbake relies on to
find its recipes, and then you can call
  bitbake -D openmoko-devel-image
to build the devel images and print out lots of debug information.

But again, this shouldn't be necessary as all relevant information
should be found in the log files.

--
Henryk Plötz
Grüße aus Berlin