OK, the forum is coming..

wim delvaux wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Tue Jul 24 03:37:40 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 02:08:32 Daniel Robinson wrote:
> I already use my browser to read my email.  I use Gmail to handle the mail
> from my domain.  I can read it at home, at the coffee house or at my day
> job.

great for you but AFAIK almost all ISP offer reading mail from their web page
so GMAIL, hotmail, yahoo etc are all obsolete.

> The argument that you have to start your browser seems thin to me.  What is
> a mail reader if not an application as complex as a browser?

well most mail readers are integrated in your desktop and impose far less
overhead when checking for email.  Also you can do nice filtering and other
scanning for stuff.  Also YOU control your email box and not the application
that your 'web'-mail provider has made available to you.

> A forum allows the _writer_ to sort the posting.  I have yet to find an
> email filtering program that does works in a more than rudimentary fashion.
> A forum can be searched for keywords in much the same way that an email
> list can be searched.

I do not get that ... what do you mean by the 'writer' and sorting ? my mail
application (Kontact of KDE) allows searching for ANY data in ANY part of the
mail (body subject etc)

> Posts stay on a forum.  Much of the email on this list goes into the bit
> bucket for me.  Advertising?  Marketing?  We don't have a working phone
> yet.

Well most mailing lists collect the email too.  All mailing lists I have
subscribed to have a page on which you can scan through the archive.