Camera on GTA02

Jay Vaughan jay at w1xer.de
Wed Jul 25 11:57:28 CEST 2007

>> You really don't need anything from an operator to get on that
>> list, when
>> there is demand for a phone it will can be sold both with and without
>> contracts. Overhere FIC needs to get these resellers on board, not
>> the
>> operators.
> In order to reach shops, you'll however usually need to setup a
> distribution
> channels. Most shops don't deal directly with manufacturers, but
> rather with
> distributors/wholesellers such as Dangaard. Most shops only deal
> with one
> distributor for their inventory.

of course, moko can piggy back the same models that other open-source/
linux-using devices of great esteem have done successfully, such as
the gp2x (gbax.com), and maintain a fairly aggressive evangelist-
distributor front in addition to all other attempts at major
commercialization.

as long as there are plenty of devices to actually go around, having
50 or so in stock is worth the effort to a lot of people actually
pouring code into the thing, and i'm pretty sure that i could sell 50
openmoko's a week, with my own code on them, pretty easily..

apropos the CAMERA, i would say it would be silly not to have it.  i
recently have been observing some lovely work by folks interested in
laser graffiti, and a cell phone camera works wonders for such things
as a 'follow the dot' pointer-source.

what i would like to try with the openmoko (and until then, shall
pursue with other similar hardware) is to have a single laser point
fixed in place {perhaps as furniture} and then use the camera of the
{openmoko}device to track the dot.

so its doing tracking using its camera, turning that into data and
when the user waves it around, it does something.  graffiti research
labs and the gang at metalab and of course others are making nice
strides with this, and the code is definitely something i'd want to
run on a pocket computer.

so my big point is that we ought to remember that the camera is
usable for more than just taking pictures, though of course thats its
primary use.  as a second input thats going into the same basic
algorithm as the position-sensor/piezo-accelerometer, i could imagine
putting some image processing into the moko hardware and making it
quite a fun device to point at things, as well as letting it continue
to be a brain-sucking cell-phone boat-anchor ...

;