chording (was: yet another alternative text input subject : Five finger keyboards)

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Wed Jul 25 14:57:40 CEST 2007

> There's a *lot* of prior art in chord keyboards (as they're normally
> called), and they work really well in a lot of environments.  I
> suspect I might like five nicely-spaced buttons so I could do
> one-handed typing on the phone.

You can imagine a chord keyboard that fits in your pocket so you can
type relatively inconspicuously (though you may get some odd looks).

I think Steve Mann's group ("wearable computers") at Toronto have done
some work in this area.

You can not imagine doing this with a conventional keyboard. Unless
you're a cartoonist, in which case you can imagine several appropriate