AW: Re: email vs forum

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Wed Jul 25 16:22:44 CEST 2007

The average customer won't wait for the "few simple" web clicks, at least not on a device that has only a GPRS connection. The Nokia E61 browser has a nice KB counter and it's incredible how huge current web sites have gotten. (and there is only limited hope of improvement, as we want the websites to have the functionality, don't we).

Email download OTOH can happen in the background.

And before you assert that this is not true ;), let me provide a simple example,
www.sms.at. Just downloading the SMS send form (using a direct URL) is > 300KB. Posting it takes around 150KB. Now that's a small and valid example, slashdot frontpage is way bigger. With GPRS speeds that means about 2 minutes before you can start typing, and over a minute to see that the SMS has been posted. In practice that's unusable even for a hardcore user like myself. btw, that process gets barely useable with UMTS speeds.

Andreas

-- Ursprüngl. Mitteil. --