"camera? yes please!" ..

Florent THIERY fthiery at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 22:17:02 CEST 2007

> .. count me in for a definite "yes"-vote for the camera, i believe it
> is an excellent user interface ..

Video-based UI is indeed a seducing concept, and the neo could be a
great experimentation device. However this requires the camera to
"see" you while operating, which is geometrically opposed to regular
image taking (sorry for the bad english).

Indeed, a rotating barrel could be an answear to avoiding multiple
cameras (i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one to be pissed off when
you see these dualcam 5mm thin phones, one cam only for visio and the
only one for pictures).

What could be interesting in the future would be a 360° lens on top of
the device -- yes they are coming
(http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol34/featuring2.html).
With software-based remapping, you get a fake pan-tilt video camera
that is able to see the front and the back...

To me the ideal neo is the one you can buy parts for and plug them
into, depending on the situation. Cheap parts, easy plug in/out (like
prototyping boards). Be it an ethernet network card, an usb hub, a
laser keyboard projector, a camera (not to mention that if you can
change the camera, you can change the optics capabilities with
different lenses/specs), a *real* microphone, a vga output or a
mini-printer... Possibilities are endless to make the neo become the
next swiss knife :)

Cheers

Florent