PRESS: Hands-on with the OpenMoko Phone

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Wed Jul 25 23:45:38 CEST 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Marcel de Jong wrote:

> On 7/25/07, michael at michaelshiloh.com <michael at michaelshiloh.com> wrote:

>> >  Thanks for posting that -- certainly whetted my appetite.
>> >
>> >  It's also interesting that the author of the article didn't quite
>> >  understand which decisions have been made, and which are pending:  he
>> >  didn't seem to understand that next version *won't* have a camera.
>
> Sadly, not only the writer of the article got it wrong. Some of the
> commenters on the Wired blog are following the lines of people who get
> it wrong. (for instance, the 'no music' comment... A mediaplayer was
> in the works, right?) (and the Moko/Moco == Bugger in Spanish is
> getting old too) :)

Indeed. I'm sure this happens with all such projects. Fortunately some of
these allow comments.

>>  By the way, it was inspiring to see the interest in that community. A lot
>>  had
>>  not heard about this project and were very excited. I had about 70 paper
>>  copies of my instructions for how to get from Ubuntu to Openmoko (in 5
>>  easy
>>  steps!) (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User_talk:Michaelshiloh) and they
>>  were
>>  all taken. I encouraged everyone to join the community.
>>
> Funny I see 7 steps.  ;)

Ah. The first 5 get you to OpenMoko. The last two are for Qemu :-). I made
that a separate list. The front of the page had just the first 5 steps, to
keep it as simple as possible. The back had Qemu, pointers to the list, the
wiki, references, and other details I forget.

> It's great to hear that there are so many people interested in this
> thing. Gives me hope that this project has a chance. :)

Don't give up!