Why you won't find me in the forum much

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Thu Jul 26 02:08:06 CEST 2007

Robin Paulson wrote:
> On 7/26/07, Mathew Davis <someoneinjapan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > So there is still no forum solution that I know of that allows me to
>> > download the full content of all posts I haven't read yet, and read
>> them
>> > on a random small device (e.g. a Treo650, or a Nokia N800, or a Sharp
>> > Zaurus) that supports offline email reading and replying.
>>
>> Sounds like a good nitch to hit.  I would be interested in a program like
>> that I wonder what it would take to make one?
>
> a browser extension based on google gears would be ideal for this. the
> extension could pull all new messages, based on date of last
> synchronisation, whenever an internet connection is detected and set
> read/unread flag

Google Gears doesn't run on my Treo650, nor on my Nokia N800, nor on my
OpenMoko phone, nor on my random other phone, PDA, or internet tablet.

So whilst that would be a great solution for someone reading from their
laptop on the beach, it's no good for someone using offline reading on a
handheld device when standing on a crowded bus or subway train.

A key point in my mind about OpenMoko development, is not to fall into
the trap of thinking "oh, something works on my x86 laptop, therefore I
can do it exactly the same way on my OpenMoko phone" ...

-- Rod