Why you won't find me in the forum much

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 04:02:50 CEST 2007

On 7/26/07, Rod Whitby <rod at whitby.id.au> wrote:
>>> them
>>>
>>> Sounds like a good nitch to hit.  I would be interested in a program like
>>> that I wonder what it would take to make one?
>
>> a browser extension based on google gears would be ideal for this. the
>> extension could pull all new messages, based on date of last
>> synchronisation, whenever an internet connection is detected and set
>> read/unread flag
>
> Google Gears doesn't run on my Treo650, nor on my Nokia N800, nor on my
> OpenMoko phone, nor on my random other phone, PDA, or internet tablet.
>
> So whilst that would be a great solution for someone reading from their
> laptop on the beach, it's no good for someone using offline reading on a
> handheld device when standing on a crowded bus or subway train.
>
> A key point in my mind about OpenMoko development, is not to fall into
> the trap of thinking "oh, something works on my x86 laptop, therefore I
> can do it exactly the same way on my OpenMoko phone" ...

it's open-source (BSD license), so all the code is available to build
on whatever environment/architecture you want (as far as my limited
understanding of portable code/interpretation of the gears wiki goes,
anyway)

http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/

i might look into this - gears piqued my interest a while back, but i
never had a suitable project for it