Why you won't find me in the forum much

ramsesoriginal ramsesoriginal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 09:34:43 CEST 2007

On 7/26/07, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at computer.org> wrote:
> Am 26.07.2007 um 08:06 schrieb <marcus.3.fletcher at bt.com>:
> > "
> > So when an official forum is blessed by someone, please make sure
> > it is
> > a forum that has a *bidirectional* email gateway.  Anything else is
> > simply sub-standard for my usage patterns.
> > "
> > -- Rod Whitby
> > -- MokoMakefile author
> >
> > Mail2Forum sounds like it could help:
> > http://mail2forum.com/forums/index.php
> >
> > "Mail2Forum (or M2F) is an add-on software to the phpBB forum system.
> > M2F combines the functionality of a mailing list system and a phpBB
> > forum in order to add bi-directional 'email to forum' and 'forum to
> > email' communication."
> I can hardly imagine how this really works?
> Firstly, please take a look at http://www.oesf.org/forums/ and count
> the subforums there.
> In a forum system you have main forums and subforums, i.e. tons of
> different boards where each one runs one or more threads (topics).
> Ususally you can subscribe to e-mail notifications for each subforum.
> This is the main benefit of a forum over a single e-mail list where
> everything is thrown in (compare between a large hall where everybody
> cries what he wants to say vs. a set of small rooms with special
> topics discussions).
> Now, should all new messages of all subfora be mapped to a single e-
> mail transmission? Or should each subforum have its own mailing list?
> For an unidrectional mode (forum -> list) this could work (even if
> new subfora are created).
> But how to respond? How do you want to specify to respond to e.g.
> "Developer", "Hardware", "Smalltalk", "First Aid", "Sell&Buy" etc.
> through E-Mail? Or even worse: how to create a new thread which
> should just go to a specific subforum. On the single mailing list you
> would simply drop it in between completely unrelated messages.
> My conclusions is that by this requirement "Anything else is simply
> sub-standard for my usage patterns. " some of the special usage
> patterns of a forum system have to be given up (i.e. the hierarchical
> grouping of different topics/rooms/subfora or however you will call it).
> For me, a single mailing list carrying all topics of everybody is
> "substandard"...
> And, another issue is IMHO substandard with mailing lists: it is the
> citation style - everybody has a different way of citing previous e-
> mails. This is a lot of waste of eye-movements to find the relevant
> references. A forum system forces to use a single citation style.

i imagine this mail2forum provides some sort of "[Subforum]"-tag before each
e-mail. To answer to a thread, simply answer the last mail of that thread.
To start a new topic, just write "[Subforum]New Topic Name" as Subject of
the mail. At least i would implement it this way. And if it isn't so, we
could simply write ourselves something like that. I mean: we have plenty of
developers in here.
This not only allow to have mailing list AND forum, but also to let
everybody choose how they want to interact.

My corner of the web: http://ramsesoriginal.wordpress.com
My dream, my world: http://abenu.wordpress.com