Why you won't find me in the forum much

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Thu Jul 26 10:31:32 CEST 2007

Giles Jones wrote:
> Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote :
>> it's open-source (BSD license), so all the code is available to build
>> on whatever environment/architecture you want (as far as my limited
>> understanding of portable code/interpretation of the gears wiki goes,
>> anyway)
>> http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/
>> i might look into this - gears piqued my interest a while back, but i
>> never had a suitable project for it
> This is the problem though, why should someone spend hours porting an application to their phone just to be able to read a list they can perfectly easily read now?
> I find this a bit crazy given this is a project to develop software for a mobile handset. We should be very aware of the limitations of a mobile device, CPU speed, memory and download speed.

Hint: These people never used mobile data sets, so have no idea about
the limitations. Furthermore, the limitations are so that you cannot
really help them:

a) bandwidth: classical solutions for these are more caching (doesn't
work, we do have a strictly limited memory budget), or more calculation
on the client (which is limited in speed, and would lower the battery
endurance, which is already low with "data" phones :( )

b) memory: storing more stuff on the server is not really an option with
GPRS speed communications, for most use cases.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)