Product naming / wiki page naming / restructuring

Alexandre Ghisoli alexandre.ghisoli at ycom.ch
Fri Jul 27 12:53:49 CEST 2007

Le vendredi 27 juillet 2007 à 18:24 +0800, Harald Welte a écrit :

> > So, we will have
> >
> > Neo1973-1.0 = "GTA01"
> > Neo1973-2.0 = "GTA02"
>
> well, please don't add numbers like 1.0/2.0, since that would just lead
> to further confusion. I really think it makes sense to use one naming
> scheme, and don't differentiate between 'inside the company' and 'outsid
> the company'

Strongly agree, but in the other hand, hardware naming should be simple
enough to let people understand what devices they got.

Let see other mobile product, they have brand, model and version
(numbers). GTA01 is quite hard to remember, but could do the trick.

For example, Palm got different hardware base (Zire, Tungsten, ...) and
numbers (Zire 31/71/22, Tungsten T3/E3, ...).

So hardware base models and revisions should have clear and simple
naming scheme that let user know what devices they buy (and what they
got inside).

> > OpenMoko-0.5 or whatever scheme is already in place.
>
> -2007 and -2008 so far.  We might have 200x.y at some point.

If you take a look on PalmOS, I always hated that I cannot install my
PalmOS version X.Y to my device, because it's only for new hardware.

AFAIK, there will be only one software name for all (future) Neo
devices, so how to name it and understand that you need *minimum*
version 2008.0 to use with your device (for example) ?

And the opposite, could you upgrade your Neo1973 GTA01v4 with the
OpenMoko-2009.2 ?

> > Each phase can also get a consumer-friendly nickname.
>
> Well, there only is one phase in which consumers get involved: phase 2.

What does it mean about revision and software naming ? Did you plan to
have "developer" and "user" naming scheme ? This can be harder to
implement, but probably easier to follow from a "normal user" (read non
developer).

As you said before, have a clear naming convention will help to organize
stuff like documentation, wiki, filesnames and so on.

Best regards

--
        Alexandre