another GPS idea - speed-sensitive voicemail

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at
Sun Jul 29 12:44:21 CEST 2007

su, 2007-07-29 kello 13:25 +0300, Shachar Shemesh kirjoitti:
> Why not just do:
> 1. Call arrives compressed with a GSM codec
> 2. Phone saves compressed stream to flash
> I really don't see why the A/D infrastructure needs to be involved in
> voice recording at all.

I does, because the GSM chip in the phone will not give access to the
digital audio stream. It will only interface through analog I/O.

The cost given to me for this is chipset price. That is IMAO acceptable,
as we can still achieve the wanted functionality though the nice mixer
chip (if not in a completely optimal fashion).

This _does_ give us yet another reason, quite practical even, to want to
be able to modify firmware on the GSM chip as well, but that's not
happening any time soon...

Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at     - <URL:>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:>
Singularitarian - SIAI supporter - <URL:>