another GPS idea - speed-sensitive voicemail

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Sun Jul 29 12:44:21 CEST 2007

su, 2007-07-29 kello 13:25 +0300, Shachar Shemesh kirjoitti:
> Why not just do:
> 1. Call arrives compressed with a GSM codec
> 2. Phone saves compressed stream to flash
>
> I really don't see why the A/D infrastructure needs to be involved in
> voice recording at all.

I does, because the GSM chip in the phone will not give access to the
digital audio stream. It will only interface through analog I/O.

The cost given to me for this is chipset price. That is IMAO acceptable,
as we can still achieve the wanted functionality though the nice mixer
chip (if not in a completely optimal fashion).

This _does_ give us yet another reason, quite practical even, to want to
be able to modify firmware on the GSM chip as well, but that's not
happening any time soon...

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>