another GPS idea - speed-sensitive voicemail

Michael Welter mike at
Sun Jul 29 19:57:12 CEST 2007

In order to tether my Mac laptop to my GSM RAZR, I had to download a
script from  The script was for
GPRS, but I noticed there was also a script for GSM analog.  I assume
this modem connection would be between the phone and the base station,
so that probably wouldn't do us any good.

Ian Stirling wrote:
> Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>> Michael Welter wrote:
>>> You're confusing GSM (Global Systems Mobile) with the gsm codec in
>>> Asterisk.
>> I find that highly likely. I'm pretty new to Asterisk.
>>>  They have different meanings.  The codecs used by your mobile phone
>>> are not the same as the gsm codec in Asterisk.
>> But it does use some codec. Even if it's not the same one, there is a
>> piece of software that can decompress it, and you can (probably) store
>> pre-compressed message you just want to dump on the line.
>> I realize this cannot be done due to licensing and other considerations.
>> I'm just saying that the details may be wrong, but the principle stands.
> No, you can't.
> Because the modem does not give you the compressed data.
> It gives you an analog output.
> There is no way (published) to make it send out compressed data.

Michael Welter
Telecom Matters Corp.
Denver, Colorado US
mike at