OpenMoko future.

Mark Arvidson sagacis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 04:28:08 CEST 2007

I disagree.  I see smartphones on nearly everybody.  Today, I was at a
party, and nearly everyone there had smartphones.  Mommies, engineers and
teachers.

The key is to make the system easy to use for wide acceptance.  Look at the
iPod.  Stoopid easy to use, but very, very popular.  The iPhone takes it too
far, taking away functionality in favor of ease of use.

The OM can quickly get to a point where it's stable and anybody can use it
for common tasks.  That's all it needs.  The cool point is that it can also
be open, so the fix/improve rate will rapidly outstrip closed phones.

If the ipkg interface is smooth enough, people will start downloading apps
to their phones.  Right now they do this through proprietary connected
sources.  Imagine how quickly viral apps will spread when people get the
idea they are allowed to download new stuff to their phones.

Freeing the phone to be a platform, not just a crude, limited tool is where
this project needs to go.  It may seem like a slow couple of years before
this really infects our entire culture, but I think it's inevitable now.

OM can lead the way.
  --sagacis