Finger Graffiti

Niels L. Ellegaard niels.ellegaard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 09:02:04 CEST 2007

Joe Pfeiffer <joseph at pfeifferfamily.net> writes:

> Much as I've liked Graffiti on my Palm...  The technology I'm
> interested in pursuing on this device is Quikwriting.  Really looks
> like a best-of-both-worlds to me.
>
> http://mrl.nyu.edu/projects/quikwriting/

Wow that would be cool. However random pages on the web seem to claim
that it is covered by a very general patent. I am not an expert on
patents, but here are some links

http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail/kragen-fw/1999-May/000107.html
http://www.google.com/patents?id=bVUgAAAAEBAJ&dq=5,764,794

"The present invention pertains to an apparatus for electronically
storing alphanumeric characters. The apparatus comprises a computer
having a memory. The apparatus also comprises a pointing device
electrically connected to the computer which serves as a virtual
keyboard. Furthermore, the apparatus comprises means for encoding
words with alphanumeric characters with a gesture language which is
drawn by the pointing device on a surface without the pointing device
having to be lifted from the surface. The encoding means is disposed
in the memory. The present invention also pertains to a method for
electrically storing alphanumeric characters. The method comprises the
steps of a) positioning a pointing device electrically connected to a
computer to a relative origin on a surface. Next, there is the step b)
of moving the pointing device to a predetermined position relative to
the origin in a predetermined motion along the surface..."

             Niels