Phone Call Security

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Mon Jun 4 18:08:24 CEST 2007

No.. as far as I know, the encryption is an integral part of the
protocol. Though Martin Tomasek tells me he's seen carriers that
don't operate with encryption turned on. But in any event, I'm pretty
sure that if the network does GSM encryption, your phone can't
request a non-encrypted channel. But as far as the authentication and
encryption goes, it doesn't add terribly to the latency and only
slightly to the bitrate.

In the US, at least, you wouldn't be able to sell a service like this
as it would make it impossible for the carrier to comply with CALEA.
I don't know about other countries, but I suspect every nation's
intelligence services would be loathe to give up the ability to tap
individual calls at will. (Which is one of the reasons that some
people find end-to-end encryption interesting in the first place.)

-Cheers
-Matt H.