[SVHMPC] Phone Call Security

Paul Lambert Paul at PicoMobileNet.com
Tue Jun 5 08:01:59 CEST 2007

No ... coding theory shows how more 'random' signals require more bandwidth.
Entropy IS information.  Typically, the bandwidth of the voice signal is
first compressed, digitized and then encrypted.  Subsequent mapping of the
digits by modulation would have to fit in the available channel.  Without
the compression, the encrypted and modulated voice takes up more bandwidth
than a unencrypted voice.

> As I understand it, the hard part is doing key exchange, because for
> effective fast encryption you frequently swap out mid-sized symmetric
> keys that are traded using asymmetric encryption (right? correct me if
> I'm wrong).
Ok ... you're wrong :-)   Key exchange is required only once per session.
For strong symmetric algorithms (like AES), the session can be a very long
duration (potentially even multiple calls)

>Since you can't easily do this over the voice channel, and
> you can't reliably fit the voice over the data channel, and you can't
> have both active simultaneously (or even intermittently), then you have
> a problem.
>
> But what about the recently announced wifi capabilities of P2 phones?
> This could make encrypted calls possible, and has an added security
> bonus. In secure VoIP setups, we have authentication, key exchange, and
> voice stream which are all sent over the same carrier. If you use the
> wifi capabilities of the Neo, then you have authentication and key
> exchange (wifi) done out-of-band from the voice stream (GSM).

Yes!  WiFi has better bandwidth ... the voice is already packetized and
compressed .. and standard key exchanges and IP encryption are already
available.

Paul