OpenMoko - We Need HYPE, and we need it yesterday!

Duncan Hudson openmoko at dunc-it.com
Tue Jun 5 14:53:58 CEST 2007

mathew davis wrote:
> I think we need to wait.  When the neo1973 has matured a bit and has
> worked out the mojor kinks it will generate attention on it's own,
> which we can then strengthen.  But right now I don't think it would
> really have an impact.  We don't know the final release date, the
> software on it which is the biggest part of the phone is not worked
> out yet.  And when the phone is released that's when the magic
> happens.  The community will come alive.  Programs will be developed
> for the phone that we haven't even thought of yet.  And then interest
> will be generated.  Plus we will be excited about our phone, we will
> be excited about moding them and doing what we want with the phone, in
> essance freeing our phone.  Then I believe it will explode.  I think
> it's a good idea to spread the word about the neo1973 but I don't
> think getting or starting hype now is important or needed.  I just
> don't see the usefulness of it now.  But that's just my opinion.
I agree completely.  First it's difficult to hype something that doesn't
exist, and nobody knows if and when it will exist.  All the people that
I 'marketed' it to have long since given up asking me when it is going
to arrive.  Second, the last thing you want is some non-technical person
(who we hyped it to) buying a unit that crashes, won't run X, can only
call, whatever.  It needs to be running 100% before you push it on
non-developers.

Dunc