[SVHMPC] concept phone with only a touchscreen for UI

Peter A Trotter peter.trotter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:12:57 CEST 2007

On 05/06/07, kenneth marken <k-marken at online.no> wrote:

> Bradley Hook wrote:
> > A possible solution for this has been discussed under an accessibility
> > thread. The Maestro is a simple (yet effective) clip-on cover for
> > PocketPCs. There are a few different versions of it, which work with
> > various different brands and models of PocketPCs. Check out a picture
> > at:
> >
> http://www.engadget.com/2004/07/01/the-maestro-visuaides-pocket-pc-for-the-blind/
> >
> > The device is simply real buttons that, when pressed, place pressure on
> > a specific portion of the underlaying touchscreen. Real tactile feedback
> > without any hardware modifications to the underlaying device. A software
> > UI written to coincide with the specific button pattern is the only
> > thing needed. You also get the advantage of very specific pressure
> > points, allowing you to cram more "hot" areas into the UI than when
> > using direct finger input.
> >

> i could have sworn that sonyericsson did something similar for a numpad
> with their P800...

They certainly did. was pretty successful as well. They continued the idea
into the newer models as well, even started including more, smaller buttons.
I t was part of a flipper that had a sensor on so the the phone could detect
when it was in place. It then adjusted the touchscreen area behind
accordingly.

I did meet someone who used it a lot and it had left little dimples in the
touchscreen. Not that it bothered him since he nearly always used the flip
bit.