New HTC Touch

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Tue Jun 5 21:13:32 CEST 2007

Funny.. this is very similar to the interface we designed for the
Wurlitzer Digital Jukebox remote control.

Great minds think alike, I suppose.

I like that HTC is trying to build something other than the most
basic WinCE ports. I spend a lot of my day developing software on a
HTC Apache, and if that phone was my daily driver, I would go insane.

But having seen up close and personal how poorly HTC designs BSPs for
WinCE, I can only say I hope this device works better.

Also... has anyone seen the Prada phone? The guy who did the
touchscreen drivers for that phone was at an eTel dinner this year
and I've got to say, I really thought the interface was quite
polished. I wouldn't call it "revolutionary," but it seemed to have a
lot of nice little touches to make it more delightful to use.

So I think that even if the iPhone turns out to be a financial
disaster (Newton 2007?) it will at least have advanced the notion
that UI for mobile devices is important for "feature phones."

-Cheers
-Matt H.