[SVHMPC] concept phone with only a touchscreen for UI

Joe Friedrichsen pengi.films at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 22:00:16 CEST 2007

On 6/5/07, Bradley Hook <bhook at kssb.net> wrote:
> Steven Milburn wrote:
> > Personally, I'd like to see a touchscreen with some type of ability to
> > raise
> > dimples at any point under software control.  Kind of like a braille reader
> > on acid.  If only such a thing existed. (does it?)
>
> One word: expensive.
> Refreshable Braille displays do exist, and even the cheapest functional
> ones make the current cost of the Neo look like pocket change.
> Incorporating this sort of technology into the Neo would not only be
> expensive, but the mechanics of these things require a lot of
> maintenance, not a fun thing to have in a phone.

While refreshable Braille on a touch screen would be the final goal
for accessibility, I think the OP was talking about mimicking buttons,
which I imagine wouldn't need to be nearly as precise. One 'bump' per
finger-space requires a much smaller resolution than six bumps per
finger-space (as is used in Braille). Mechanical movement is still the
challenge, but reducing the actuators by a factor of 6 is a big help.

Joe