Some thoughts about iphone & openmoko

Brad Midgley bmidgley at
Wed Jun 6 04:58:18 CEST 2007

One thing we miss in OSS and many commercial OSS mixes is someone in charge
of UI who knows what is easy to use and what falls down. I get the feeling
that FIC does not have a UI overlord. The UI improves from release to
release, but there are some consistency etc issues I've noticed... for

* the home screen is a good start for finger navigation, but once you choose
an app (eg dialer) you need a stylus to get back to it.
* clicking the white area for a popup keyboard is no good. You have to have
a stylus to use the keyboard, so it could easily work to have an icon in the
tray on the top right
* the application switcher is itself an application which conflicts with
some common sense interaction (it should pop up & down, it's too complicated
for a simple job)
* the bottom bar says "OpenMoko TaskManager" and never changes
* app dropdowns like contacts look good with new/create/delete right there,
but this same thing is missing in the calendar app and the calendar makes a
poor choice to use "Quit" instead of "Close" in its menu

Are there big picture user guidelines in place? Something that defines what
the app dropdown should contain for example?

I guess it's up to us to complain about or fix the rough edges so it'll
converge on something reasonable.