Seamless switching from gprs to wifi calling

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 09:49:26 CEST 2007

Check the archives for a full discussion of this. In short GPRS is unsuitable
for VoIP because of the high latencies, often in seconds. The GSM data mode
is more suitable even though it's only 9600. It should be possible to have
Asterisk route calls to the right VoIP endpoint, or to a GSM voice call if it
can place calls to the PSTN. The trick comes in knowing when to hand over,
and having a unified client that'll get Asterisk to do it.