Java (was: Re: OpenMoko - We Need HYPE, and we need it yesterday!)

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Fri Jun 8 15:32:26 CEST 2007

> please point your browsers to http://de.sun.com/
>
> I am not sure how long it will be there - but to see is JavaFX
> Mobile - with a (slightly trimmed?) Neo1973 and you can see the
> FIC-Logo.
>
> I think the Neo _has_ some attention.

The hardware in that demo is almost incidental.

JavaFX Mobile is a complete alternate mobile stack based entirely on
Java, and all the APIs are in Java. It has its own Linux port, based on
work done by Savaaje, which Sun acquired a few months back.

While this might initially position JavaFX Mobile as a direct competitor
to OpenMoko, I've seen blogs in which Sun was quoted saying it would be
GPL'd, so it should (might) be possible to blend them.  Or, it might be
better to do "our own" port of phoneME to OpenMoko. I don't know which
approach is better in the long run.