cellphone-sized X86 PC motherboard potential OpenMoko platform?

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 21:16:37 CEST 2007

> When you look at the board you see that there is not much space left.
> It seems there's no GSM, no WiFi, no other chip already.

i've heard talk elsewhere of a built in cdma module. that's an odd
choice considering the number of operators switching to gsm, but i
would assume via will change/add to this down the track

> And as I always say: The only reason for using x86 in small and embedded
> devices is running Windows.
> I really don't want to have Windows on my phone. No CE/Mobile, exceptionally
> no XP/Vista. Do you? :)

hell no, i ditched win long since. but some people will
and there are a number of closed pieces of software only available for
x86. flash is one of them, shockwave another. maybe skype, i'm not
sure what that runs on
add in things like a half decent fpu (compared to arm anyway) and the
platform starts to approach desktop functionality for all sorts of
applications. as the oqo has partly shown, there's no reason a mobile
(pc/phone) can't be a desktop as well with the addition of a proper
qwerty kb and monitor when the user gets to the office

this is an awesome development, i'm in 2 minds myself whether to buy a
pico itx or wait for this next year