Idea: emulate GSM-basestation/IMSI-Catcher?

openmokolist.50.minime at openmokolist.50.minime at
Tue Jun 12 16:58:44 CEST 2007

Just some things that came to my mind concerning OpenMoko/the Neo:

Is the GSM-modem capable of simulating a GSM-basestation? And if so...
... can the GSM-modem act as an 'IMSI-Catcher' < >?
If the GSM-modem is not able of doing the things mentioned above, could
it be used for communication using the GSM-band but not some mobile
service provider or one of their GSM-basestations with other
(OpenMoko-enabled?-)phones? Like a regular walkie-talkie. Over the
GSM-band ;-)
What about law based frequency-regulations concerning c) ?

(Please don't bash me for having 'evil ideas'. Discussing the reasons
for and against IMSI-catching is a different item, this is just about
the feasibility.)