[SVHMPC] linux phone standard

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Tue Jun 12 22:07:15 CEST 2007

Well... I used to work for PalmSource, one of the LiPS founding
members. I've been trying to find something nice to say about LiPS
for the last 24 hours and the best I can come up with is, "It's not
Microsoft."

But yeah... my impression has always been that some of the companies
involved (PalmSource) always believed that the value of their
offering was based in the software. I would argue that the value of
PalmOS is not in PalmOS itself, but in the community of users and
developers that surrounded it. Motorola is used to dealing with
proprietary mobile OSes and is only slowly coming to internalize some
of the benefits of open source. So... my take on this is... the guys
involved have a mental model of how successful products are built,
and it involves dealing with "the" software group. These businesses
have processes based on a risk model that puts the software group in
a distant location from the hardware group.

In my experience, companies that pay dogmatic attention to API
standards outside of customer requirements don't last long (Posix and
Win32 being possible exceptions.) Companies that pay close attention
to customer requirements spend more of their time solving their
customer's problems than going to meetings to discuss which options
of which API calls will be supported.

LiPS was formed by a group of software companies who, when given a
kernel, a process model, a framebuffer device driver or two, and GTK,
couldn't figure out how to make a compelling product, much less a
platform. The LiPS guys will tell you that in order to create a
development community, you've got to have a consistent API for
developers to work with. I've always argued that given a compiler, an
emulator, prototype hardware, a JTAG connector and enough stock
options and coffee, skilled engineers can make anything work. What is
difficult is for small, innovative companies to release their
products in a market dominated by a few powerful players with long
buying cycles.

This is not to say that LiPS is irrelevant, just that as an ISV, I
just don't see why it's that interesting.

-Just my $0.02
-Cheers!
-Matt H.