unbundling of phone services

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Wed Jun 13 01:49:08 CEST 2007

> From:
> "Matthew S. Hamrick" <mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net>

> A Mobile LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) system would be slightly different
> that an MVNO. MVNO's mostly differentiate themselves on branding instead
> of services. LLU is what you get when you force ILECs (Incumbent Local
> Exchange Carriers) to allow third parties to connect to the local loop
> (the wire running from the carrier's central office to the customer
> premises.) The mobile equivalent would be to force the wireless network
> operators to provide "value add" third parties with rack space in mobile
> base-stations or like UNE/P an ATM interface to data, video or voice
> data from the handset without passing it through the carrier's network.

One huge difference I see between a wired CLEC and a mobile LLU as you
describe it is that a CLEC can start small by putting equipment into the
COs of a single marketing area and potentially have a viable product.  I
have trouble seeing too many customers getting exciting about a mobile
product that has spiffy features but can't roam, so you need to put
equipment in an awful lot of racks.

Or am I missing something?

--Jon Radel