Open Moko Themes

Peter A Trotter peter.trotter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 15:03:05 CEST 2007

On 13/06/07, Buddy <buddy.baars at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/13/07, Emre Turkay <emreturkay at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/12/07, Tim Newsom <cephdon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is where XAML or XUL are particularly suited.
> > > The idea is that the UI will be mostly svg commands or in some cases
> > > images.. But rendered completely by the engine.  Look up what you get

> > environment like a mobile platform (you don't plug a screen with a
> > different resolution to your cell phone generally) IMHO not a very
> > good idea. They may be vector graphics at the development phase but
> > they should be compiled (translated into bitmap) before deployed onto
> > the real device.

I agree totally about images. However, as I understand it the SVG spec is
for far more than drawing pretty pictures. It also allows the embedding of
these generated images.

I was fingering SVG as a potential candidate to entirely separate the
application UI from the back end (html/ajax has been suggested elsewhere but
I think SVG would be far better)

If the application is then used on a different form factor device you can
simply produce a new SVG file. All the UI script and images are linked to
the SVG.

This also gives us a nice separation of people who are good at making things
look good and those of us who know the loop preconditions / postconditions
without even thinking.

If openmoko is to deal with multiple different devices/resolutions this will
be a key feature.

-Pete