Will Openmoko ever see the light of day? Was Re: Concern for usability and ergonomics

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Wed Jun 13 16:26:35 CEST 2007

Duncan...

Let me just add to what Sudharshan said... There is a stunning amount
of variability in the mobile device supply chain. I used to work for
Gibson Musical Instruments, where we were designing what was
effectively a custom PDA (don't ask.) There were several delays,
including about 9 months where we were waiting for parts to arrive at
the factory. You get on the phone and you send over a PO number and
you get a contract for delivery of a certain part and then you wait.
And wait, and wait. And it never shows up. Then you get back on the
phone and eventually you find another parts distributor. Since then,
I've started taking delivery dates with a pretty large grain of salt.

BTW, I've seen prototypes of the Neo 1973, and it has a lot of parts
under the hood. If you guess that one in twenty parts could be
problematical, there's plenty of opportunity for delay. At some point
I'll have to tell you my story about the Nokia 770 I eventually got.

-Cheers
-Matt H.